[thelist] Intellectual property on source files

Stephen Barber stephen at sodium.co.uk
Thu Jan 25 12:12:31 CST 2001

Does anyone on the list have any experience with clients asking for source
files to work that they have carried out? I am aware that this question is
more or less subject to what is stated in project contracts etc, but I was
wondering how other designers / developers dealt with this kind of thing?

My own opinion is that yes, the client has paid for a product, which has
been delivered, but this does not entitle them to be able to change either
the design elements of the product (in this case a Flash movie) without the
permission of our company, or have access to the code that makes it work.

Is this a generally accepted way of working? Or do you think that, as they
have paid for us to do the work, they should have access to all of the raw
materials?

Thanks for any views/experience that you can share!

Stephen
--
Sodium
www.sodium.co.uk