[thelist] Intellectual property on source files

Andy Warwick andy.war at ntlworld.com
Thu Jan 25 13:59:31 CST 2001

>> True, but you also wouldn't expect Ford to supply you with the machining
>> tools or the engineers to add those wheels and spoilers.
>
> They're not giving them a copy of Flash just a source file.  Wouldn't the
> machining tools be akin to the app used in this case?  Machines and workers
> make the car--Flash and designers/programmers make the movie.

Good point.

Of course, what one might say that in machining the components, you generate
"metal sawdust" (can't remember the right term), so the client's are asking
you to supply all of that as well as the car. They are the equivalent of
work-in-progress source files.

(I like my metaphor too much to give it up now, god dammit :)

>> But again,
>> retouching the picture would involve you hiring a new artist or having a go
>> yourself - you would not be entitled to the paint and brushes the original
>> artist used unless you bought them.
>
> Again, the brushes and paint in this case would represent the
> software/hardware in this analogy.  I think this analogy makes more sense if
> the client were to buy a print of a painting and then demand the original
> painting so they could make modifications and make a "better" print.

Okay, I'll give you that one; that's a much better metaphor than mine.

Regards

Andy W