[thelist] HostPro revisited

zac zac at pixelgeek.com
Thu Jan 25 19:31:39 CST 2001

Gee wrote:

> 'Dunno about  CF Hosting (dint even know they offered it) but I've been
> using a VServer Lite account from HostPro since October 00 and have been
> pleased with the service -- even more pleased when taking into account
> experience with pevious hosts.

HostPro is better than the hosting service we had prior to using them but
given that our previous hosts actions bordered on criminal negligence and
fraud that isn't saying much.

> My main attraction is the amount of control they give you over the
> configuration of your virtual server. I can't speak to the quality of the
> technical support as I haven't needed to use it (knock wood.)

Our only real problem with them is technical support and their
administrators. I have had admins at HostPro lie to me (and my business
partner) about the  problems with our server and even had them lie about the
code in our pages in order to try and blame us for server problems.

Even worse is that they have removed functionality from the Cold Fusion
Admin page without any notification or contact with us. We had pages that
suddenly broke and after a few days of hell with the support staff we
finally found that the admins  had arbitrarily turned off features we had
written code to use and then refused to re-enable them or offer us a
suitable alternative.

If you're currently with them and happy then congrats but if I were looking
for a new hosting service I would not recommend working with HostPro in any
capacity whatsoever.

--

If you have to choose the lesser of two evils then maybe its time to
think about rephrasing the question.

email: zac at pixelgeek.com
web: http://www.pixelgeek.com/