[thelist] Site critique, please?

McCreath_David McCreath_David at xmail.asd.k12.ak.us
Fri Jan 26 21:31:31 CST 2001

>From: Charles Johnson
>
>"mccreath" <mccreath at ak.net> wrote:
>
>> NN 4.08/W2K --
>
>Looks like we flushed the mystery bug out of hiding again! Have you tried
>with a more recent version of Netscape? 4.08 is pretty out of date, I
think.

4.08 is the most recent version of Netscape *Navigator*. Just tried it with
Netscape Communicator 4.75 and still have no bg images.

>I assume point 2 is referring to the same problem. This is very
frustrating,
>since I can't personally reproduce it, and not everyone sees it. So far I
>haven't identified any pattern to it, either. The images are simple GIFs,
>and the code is very simple too; until I gather more data I still don't
know
>what to do about it.

Well, I run W2K at work and at home. Is there an OS issue? I haven't been
tracking the other responses very closely, so I don't know what OSs the
others are running.

>Hmm. Do the 'Quick Forum Links' on the left navbar also look too small?
They
>use a different font but I think it's the same pixel size.

'Quick Forum Links' look okay. If you're using Verdana for those and Arial
or Helvetica for the footer, that's your problem. Arial and Helvetica don't
render as well as Verdana at small sizes.

>Agreed, more links back to the home page are needed! About the table
>containing the breadcrumbs -- you know, I originally tried doing exactly
>what you suggested. But it just didn't look balanced with the breadcrumb
>trail text floating all footloose and fancy-free up there.

Hm. I'd still try something else. I don't know what, but the breadcrumbs
shouldn't take precedence over the content table. But, hey, easy for me to
say, right? It works where it is...I'm just being anal. :)

>Thanks very much, David, I appreciate the critique! I wish I could get a
>handle on the missing background problem.

Got me, man. I never mess with em, myself. If you want to, try un-nesting
one of those tables and let me know (on or offlist) and I'll check that and
see if the nesting is screwing things up.

this was the only reference I could find to a problem like this:

http://www.builder.com/Authoring/Tagmania/110899/ss02.html