[thelist] RE: Another Site Critique (Please)

Charles Johnson cfj at mac.com
Sat Jan 27 12:12:31 CST 2001

Beau Hartshorne <beau at gohothouse.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just finished our new website. Please tell me what you think:
>
> http://www.gohothouse.com/
>
> The one thing that I've noticed (and have yet to figure out) is the bullet
> misalignment problem - the bullets in my bulleted lists (especially on
> http://www.gohothouse.com/print_design.php3) don't seem to line up to the
> centre of the text.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Beau

The site looks very nice! But one problem: if you use IE5 Mac's 'Text Zoom'
to increase the size of text, the layout breaks. Same in Netscape 6.

About the bullets: annoying, isn't it? On my latest designs, I'm using the
following style to get around this:

ul {
  list-style-type: square;
  list-style-position: inner;
  list-style-image: url(../shared-images/triangle.gif);
}

Netscape 4.x understands list-style-type, so NS users get square bullets.
But IE users get a nice graphic bullet that is centered with the text.
Designing the graphic so it aligns with your list text does involve a bit of
trial and error, though.

Charles F. Johnson
Little Green Footballs Web Design
http://www.littlegreenfootballs.com