[thelist] problems downloading with IE4

Michele Foster michele at wordpro.on.ca
Sat Jan 27 16:02:31 CST 2001

Aardvark,

I'm wondering if IE4 is trying to launch the file upon download?  Any
different results if you change the file extension to zip or exe?  Are you
using ppt or pps?

If memory serves .. there is a way to take a PowerPoint presentation and
make it a "run-able" file.  This may not be feasible though.

Also, have you checked MS's documentation?  I remember there being an issue
a couple years back.  I couldn't find anything specific, but here are a
couple of links, that may or may not offer some assistance.

http://officeupdate.com/downloadDetails/Ppt97sec.htm?s=/downloadCatalog/dldP
owerPoint.asp
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q133/7/89.asp?LN=EN-US&SD=g
n&FR=0&qry=download&rnk=12&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn_SRCH&SPR=PPT

Check this link first, this sounded useful, but you're on *nix .. so, maybe
not,

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q196/5/05.ASP?LN=EN-US&SD=g
n&FR=0&qry=powerpoint&rnk=17&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn_SRCH&SPR=IE
 (sent this link offlist directly)

Editing registry ... probably not a good solution,

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q162/0/59.asp?LN=EN-US&SD=g
n&FR=0&qry=powerpoint&rnk=20&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn_SRCH&SPR=IE

Anway, just a few ideas.  Last suggestion would be, what version of PP?  I
have 2000 here if you need the file upgraded, but that probably won't help
any.

Good luck,

Michele