[thelist] problems downloading with IE4

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 28 17:01:31 CST 2001

>From: "Michele Foster" <michele at wordpro.on.ca>
>
> I'm wondering if IE4 is trying to launch the file upon download?  Any
> different results if you change the file extension to zip or exe?  Are you
> using ppt or pps?

nope, that's not the problem... i'm specifically testing it through a
right-click download...

> If memory serves .. there is a way to take a PowerPoint presentation and
> make it a "run-able" file.  This may not be feasible though.

doesn't address the problem, though... it still craps out regardless
of how i download/view it...

> Also, have you checked MS's documentation?  I remember there being an issue
> a couple years back.  I couldn't find anything specific, but here are a
> couple of links, that may or may not offer some assistance.
[...]
> Editing registry ... probably not a good solution,

no... i'm suspecting it has to do with the server set-up... the one
you sent me offlist
(http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q196/5/05.ASP)
deals specifically with an IIS server, which this is not, but its
solution is interesting... it suggests that the IIS server is sending
over an expiration header... i don't see why Apache on Solaris
couldn't be doing the same...

anyone know how to display headers sent by the server?

> Anway, just a few ideas.  Last suggestion would be, what version of PP?  I
> have 2000 here if you need the file upgraded, but that probably won't help
> any.

nup... doesn't matter if PP is even installed on the target system or
not...