[thelist] Calculating distnace between two zip codes.

Judah McAuley judah at alphashop.com
Tue Jan 30 19:05:34 CST 2001

At 05:36 PM 1/30/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>April,
>
>http://jcsm.com/new/twozips.html
>(I asked Jeeves!)
>
>Enter two zip codes, it returns the distance in between.

I will put in my vote for www.jcsm.com  I bought the Zip code package from
Bud Jay and have been very pleased.  It gets updated once a month
(apparently zip codes do change fairly often).  It contains a list of zip
codes and their corresponding latitude and longitude.  It also matches
city/state pairs to zip codes.  You can also download it in a variety of
formats. He's got an Access database or you can get an ascii
comma-delimited form.  I use the ascii format so I can do a table load and
match it up with data provided by a client.  Bud also provides ASP code to
show how to do the select statements for a locator program.  The code is
pretty easily port over to CF.

If you want to, you can take a look at the dealer locator we did for a client:
http://www.burley.com/html/locator/index.html

One caveat, though.  This is a radial search, so the practical limit is
about a 50 mile radius.  More than 50 miles and the number of zip codes
contained within the circle gets to be extraordinarily large.

Hope this helps.

Judah