[thelist] form field to text file?

Sabrina Dent, Apperception Ltd. sabrina.dent at appercept.co.uk
Tue Jan 30 19:17:31 CST 2001

Hi Ron et al...

> You've got me curious however ... what good is a client side form save to
> text file? ... How / What / Why / Where would you use that?

Umm. Okay, I'll reveal my terrible dark secret, but try not to spit on your
keyboards, eh?

It's for FrontPage...

FP2000 (Oh the shame, the shame!) for all it's poor stepchild faults does
have a few Cinderella slippers in it's closet.

I've done a small-scale hack of the guestbook feature to post from an input
form on one password-protected page to a public HTML page, in order to
quickly post news items, etc. I am also posting the same form data to a .txt
file (all run very nicely by FP extensions).

The problem is that FP *insists* on posting *all* the news items to both the
txt file and the HTML page. What I was actually hoping to do was pull just
the latest entry from the .txt file and include it on the homepage to just
show the latest news story there.

I know how easy a similar news module is with perl, I was just trying to
duplicate it with FP. If it were my own server, I would use a cgi script,
but one of the other nice things about FP is that you can bundle up a site
and distribute it as an EXE for deployment on other servers, and I have no
way of anticipating what the ultimate host's configuration will be.

So now you know :o)

--Bri

*******
"Bother," said Pooh, as Piglet was assimilated by the Borg