[thelist] database and FTP

Philippe J philippejadin2 at swing.be
Wed Jan 31 15:48:48 CST 2001

> 1. I am freelancing on a web design contract.  The client would like to
> have on the new website a function that takes basic user information
> that the user inputs in an html form, and automatically either uploads
> or updates that users information in an existing MS Access database.
> The site will be posted on a unix server.
>
> First, as I am primarily a designer, I am wondering the best way to
> achieve this in a cost effective manner.

This will be pretty difficult,  so, in order to have it quick, it won't be
cheap...
Trying to connect a linux / unix site to an access database is probably the
hardest way to make a database-driven site. This would involve using  a
separate database server, or using an odbc driver for the unix box. Or use
any other system to connect *nix to access (chiliasp?)

1. If you want it "easy", use asp on a windows (nt) host. (or ask someone
to)
2. If you want it reliable, trash access, use mysql and php, those are the
natural tools found on linux hosts. (or ask someone to)
3. Find a way to connect access to your host (good luck)

I would recommend solution n°1 if you need to cope with access.

> Second, I am wondering about a general ballpark cost for this work.
> What would be a reasonable price to pay someone if I were to Sub
> Contract this work out?

Only to create a form that insert or update data in a 3 fields database (id,
login, password,...) ? This should not be too difficult to do. Doing this
with a *nix and access will cost more. If possible, try one of the two first
options given before, and it won't be too hard to implement. (either with
php, asp or perl, or...)

> 2.  They are also wondering about having an FTP site to share large
> files between two offices.  This site would be password protected so
> that only the people in the organization could access it.   What it
> amounts to is a large bulletin board.  The site needs to be able to
> accept a posted article from a user, and display it accessibly for
> others in the two offices which are in separate parts of the world.

An "FTP" site is not a bulletin board. Those are distincts things. You
should use a ready to use forum package that runs on your host, try to
install it, or have someone do it for you. "File size" doesn't matter for
the forum script (altough it must include support for attachments). The size
problem is more a problem of choosing an host with sufficent disk space and
bandwidth.

> My questions are essentially the same, how would you achieve this cost
> effectively, and what is a reasonalbe price to pay for creating and
> implementing something like this?

This is quite simple :

1. Find an host with enough disk place and bandwidth
2. Install a forum script on this server or ask someone to do it for you.
(If the host support php and mysql, you could use http://www.phorum.org : it
works well)

Sorry, I have no idea for the prices. It really depends of the technical
choices made at the very beginning of the project.

Hope this helps !

Philippe