[thelist] Search engines and dynamic sites using query strings

Daniel J. Cody djc at starkmedia.com
Thu Feb 1 10:43:50 CST 2001

Hola :)

I guess it depends on how you set up the 404-thingie to be honest, like
what you're writing it in, how you're using it etc..

The only thing I can share is a line from our access logs:

63.237.xx.xx - - [01/Feb/2001:09:19:58 -0600] "GET
/article/Dreamweaver_custom_extension_freelancer/23/4240/index.html
HTTP/1.1"

you can see that it shows up in the logs just fine, even with the URL
that we made up, so any log analyzer(we use both webtrends and analog
for log analyzers) will be able to report on your logs..

The only problem i've seen with this is that each request for a file is
actually, a 404. Thus apache will treat it that way and log it as a 404
and some analyzers will report that all of your page views were actually
404's without some custom analyzing :)

So, to answer your quesstion, it doesn't screw up your statistics. It
may require you to do a little tweaking to your analyzer to really
extract those statistics in with this method though

Hope that helps, shout if you have more questions :)

.djc.