[thelist] 404s and URL strings, oh my!

Daniel J. Cody djc at starkmedia.com
Thu Feb 1 12:01:53 CST 2001

Not a bad question at all.. but not sure if i'm following you 100% but
i'll try :)

mod_rewrite and similar features sit on the webserver level, whereas the
URLs themselves are formulated at the application server level(chich
gets passed on to the webserver for further processing and sending to
your browser)

lets say you had a URL that came in as

/dir/dir2/index.html where 'dir' and 'dir2' were actually URL variables
that you needed to have parsed. if i'm following you correctly, you're
saying, "why not just send /index.html?var1=dir&var2=dir2 " to apache,
let mod_rewrite take that and process it as /dir/dir2/index.html and
pass it to cold fusion for processing?" (if thats not what you meant,
sorry :)

which isn't a bad idea
(and one i thought about doing for people that had our old URL scheme
bookmarked: evolt.org/index.cfm?menu=8&cid=1232 would get mod_rewritten
to /content/8/1232/index.html and passed to cold fusion and the person
could still find the article they wanted with the old URL scheme..in the
end though, walker and jeff ended up just writting a much simpler CF
page that grepped certain variables and passed them to a new template,
check out http://www.evolt.org/index.cfm?menu=8&cid=555 to see this in
action)
except for the fact that spiders still don't like the query string,
which brings us full circle to the original topic :)

if that has nothing to do with your question, lemme know and I'll
rephrase the question alex :)

.djc.