[thelist] WYSIWYG editor for web dummies

mccreath mccreath at ak.net
Fri Feb 2 00:16:37 CST 2001

> when my high school graphic communications class did web pages, the
> district bought us Adobe PageMill. . . .  never used it,

And thank your lucky stars.  ;) It's really old tech and writes sucky, sucky
code. My school district is still saddled with it from a large bundle
purchase last year.

> Being Adobe, though, it probably cost a fortune.

Nope. It's not even made anymore.

> --On Thursday, 1 February, 2001 10:16 PM -0500 "Herzog, Ari"
> <Ari_Herzog at Instron.com> wrote:
>
> > Can anyone suggest a WYSIWYG editor for web novices
> > which does not add any new tags or folders to the web structure,
> > that can be used for merely taking an existing page, making some
> > changes and saving as a new file? Also, if it is
> > freeware/donateware/careware, all the better so the corporation doesn't
> > have to spend money on it, unless needed.

Ari, I don't know the particulars of your set up (where the pages are,
etc.), but I've actually had good luck setting novices up with Netscape
Composer. Not the best code, but it's bone simple and free.

I haven't looked at the Composer included with Netscape 6, but the version
in Communicator 4.7* was pretty good, especially for the price.

David
-----
home: http://home.gci.net/~mccreath/
work: http://www.asd.k12.ak.us/