[thelist] Submit, Using Formatted Text

Aylard JA (James) jaylard at equilon.com
Mon Feb 5 18:26:37 CST 2001

Jimmy,

> Does anyone know if there is a way to set up a form so that the submit
> button is formatted text rather than an image or the ugly browser
> rendered buttons.

	Sorry -- a bit slow on responding to this. If I understand your
questions, then yes, this is possible using the HTML 4.x button element, but
only in IE 4+ and Netscape 6:

<button type="submit">Most any formatted HTML can go here</button>

	There is a further caveat: Microsoft botched its implementation of
the button element so that it *always* submits its innerHTML as its value
(whereas it's only supposed to do that if there is no explicit value
attribute provided). So it's best not to rely on any submitted value from
the button itself.

James Aylard