[thelist] Re: Old Shockwave installers

Garrett Coakley garrett at polytechnic.co.uk
Tue Feb 6 05:46:37 CST 2001

On Tuesday, February 6, 2001, jdowdell at macromedia.com (John Dowdell) said:

John,

Don't worry about the delay, I only had a week to look at it anyway.
Thanks for the URL, very handy.

>For this project, I empathize... it's hard to troubleshoot an older piece
>that you didn't write yourself. The crux could be located in any of many
>places, depending on what the original author did... hard to isolate a
>problem after the fact, but I know you know that already.... :(

Tell me about it! *:)

I managed to fix it, well, I managed to hack it. As a long shot I
replaced the copy of IML32.DLL that was on the CD with a copy from the
latest shockwave player. Seemed to work, and, as an added bonus, the
memory usage has dropped.

It wasn't an ideal solution, but the client was unwilling to authorise
more in depth testing. I tried to explain that the project the previous
programmer had delivered to them as finished was, in fact, only at a beta
quality level. But they weren't going for it.

Had to get them to sign a waiver saying that I wasn't going to be held
responsible for any further bugs found. And true enough, I got an email
last night with details of two more bugs they've found. I can see this
one running and running *:/

Have to say a big thanks to zac at this point, he gave me some great
pointers when I thought I was at a brick wall. Allowed me to rule out a
few possible areas. Cheers zac, you're a life saver.

<tip type="stuck in a hole?" author="Garrett Coakley">
If you've been at a problem for so long that you can't see the wood for
the trees, talk to someone. Drop into your favorite IRC channel, ask a
developer friend out for a coffee, mail your favorite developers list *;)

Even if they can't help, just getting the problem out of your head can do
wonders for your clarity.
</tip>

G.