[thelist] OT: One-liner

Ben Henick persist1 at io.com
Tue Feb 6 16:36:35 CST 2001

This just found its way into my mailbox from another, entirely unrelated
list:

"Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface."

Somehow, I think that this concept will resonate.  :-)

<tip type="DHTML code layout" author="Ben Henick">
If you need a relatively painless set of DHTML dropdown menus, consider
the following approach:

1.  Create a DIV at the bottom of the page, intended to contain an image.
2.  Put all of your menus within the footprint of that notional image.
3.  Write a map corresponding to all of the hotspots (and combinations
    thereof).
4.  Write an onload function that will change all of the map HREF's when
    the page is downloaded by a browser that can properly display the
    menus.

Advantages:  it's easy on the visitor's system resources, particularly
if the menus are well-optimized - and the use of bitmaps allows for
more latitude in presentation while sparing the shock of the client at
discovering what happens to the presentation in, say, Netscape 4.

Disadvantages:  it leaves a great deal to be desired in regard to
accessibility.
</tip>

--
Ben Henick
Web Author At-Large
persist1 at io.com

"Are you pondering what I'm pondering, Pinky?"
"I think so, Brain, but... (snort) no, no, it's too stupid."
"We will disguise ourselves as a cow."
"Oh!" (giggles) "That was it exactly!"