[thelist] Panic: Need a Doc Pool Plus

Sabrina Dent, Apperception Ltd. sabrina.dent at appercept.co.uk
Wed Feb 7 16:29:31 CST 2001

Greetings, the list...

I'm in a full scale panic here. We're about to take a site and associated
extranet live and have just discovered that our extranet software is not
right for the job. It was originally built on a Xerox DocuShare platform,
which is licensed in blocks of 50 users and very steep... the client has
just done a database dump and there are over 350 users for this system.
DocuShare is no longer a financially viable option.

What I need is something that sits on an NT/W2K server and provides:

* A document pool, allowing visitors to upload documents to directories
* A group calendar application
* Ability to add external links, in some sort of organised fashion
* Possibly some forum software, but I had just stuck UBB onto DocuShare and
am happy to continue with UBB.

We have just built this exact system in PHP for a UNIX customer, so this is
immensely frustrating. Coupled with the very short time frame--I think I
need something out-of-the-box-ish because I don't have time to rebuild the
PHP apps for NT :(

Security is not really an issue as we can authenticate the extranet
directory as a whole against the currently existing SQL database.

Any and all help, ideas, links, anything very appreciated... anyone who
wants to contact me off-list is also invited... help!

Yours, desperately,
Bri

<tip>
Don't let clients get overly enthusiastic during development; they can
skyrocket the requirement beyond the original spec while you're not
watching...
</tip>