[thelist] CSS/DIV help!

Aylard JA (James) jaylard at equilon.com
Thu Feb 8 12:46:31 CST 2001

Jon/Robin,

> Blimey, selectTab() is complicated. Sure you don't want to rethink this
> function...?

	+1. This is an unnecessarily complicated way to accomplish this.
Turning visibility on and off (or better yet for IE 4+ and Netscape 6,
switching display between "block" and "none") would be much more
straightforward. Best of all, a good, old-fashioned, cross-browser image
swap would make your life simpler still. I also recommend hand-grooming your
code -- both the script and the html -- since both are a bit bloated.

> <---(Everyone... NS6 does report it's version number as 5 doesn't it? I
> can't remember. Can't even run the damn thing on my machine) ---->

	Well, it depends on which part of the userAgent string you're
looking at. The full UA string for Netscape 6.0 (running under Windows NT
with US English as the default language) is:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; WinNT4.0; en-US; m18) Gecko/20001108 Netscape6/6.0

	So, you could grab either the Mozilla/5.0 part or the Netscape6/6.0
part.

> Also - does anyone know if getElementById() supported by IE4?

	No, it's not. And, as you suggest, Jon, an error results.

hth,
James Aylard