[thelist] What prog. language to focus on???

Zac zac at pixelgeek.com
Thu Feb 8 13:21:31 CST 2001

Katherine Spice <k.spice at acu.ac.uk> wrote:

> > perl is a great language but I find that all it really does, aside from
teaching
> > you how to use reg expressions better than any other language, is teach you
how
> > to program in perl.

> That's true, but knowing how to program in perl makes my life easier
> time and again.

I wasn't trying to imply that Perl wasn't useful only that I don't think that
most of the skills (aside from reg expressions which are very handy) you gain
using it are very transferable. :-)

One of the programmers on our current project is using a Perl script to connect
to a mailbox and parse all the mail in it. This is a task that is far easier in
Perl than almost any other language I know.

And, as Katherine obliquely mentions, if this is the type of work you do or that
you want to be doing then perhaps Perl is the best way to go.

--

       Zac Belado

       email: zac at pixelgeek.com
       WWW: http://www.pixelgeek.com/