[thelist] "base href" question (tip)

Sam-I-Am sam at sam-i-am.com
Thu Feb 8 13:22:31 CST 2001

brings a tip to mind:

<tip type="running a development server">
I and most of our developers now run Apache - on our Windows98/Nt/2000
desktop/laptops.
This lets us maintain multiple server roots by using virtual hosts on
different ports
So for example I may have 5 current or recent projects on
localhost:8081,localhost:8082,localhost:8083,etc.
Plus my personal site, plus an alias available on all sites for perldoc,
testsuite and some other useful stuff.

This allows us to use root relative urls, ssi, cgi etc. on our local
machines, get to know Apache in the meantime, and facilitates easy
deployment - just zip/ftp it up.

Apache is easy to install, well documented and the most widely used
server software out there (last I checked). http://www.apache.org/

</tip>