[thelist] Contract Advice

Chris Houston. chris at phosphors.net
Thu Feb 8 16:54:43 CST 2001

Your fact:
> On the same day my old computer crashed to a final death, taking
> my time sheets with it.

Their fact:
> 2 months went by and I saw no money. I contacted the company
> again and he told me no, sorry, in order to get paid I would have
> to produce timesheets.

You could either:
a) Pay a few hundred dollars to recover the data off your hard drive, and
hope that your time sheets are among that which is recovered.
b) Manufacture some time sheets.

I recommend option b. Make it up. You remember what you did, don't you? How
could they prove otherwise?
i) They say "Oh, you said these were lost", you say "I paid someone a few
hundred dollars to get them back"
ii) They say "These don't match the ones we have", you say "So you had
timesheets all along, and wouldn't pay? My lawyer will be most interested in
that fact."

Play hard ball. Don't feel obliged to be polite - do you really want to work
with them again?

Chris Houston.

Creative Director
Phosphors Intermedia