[thelist] Search & replace text

CDitty mail at redhotsweeps.com
Sun Feb 11 16:29:27 CST 2001

I posted this on the PHP list, but haven't had any answers yet.  Anyone
here know the answer?

I am trying to search through a text file on my server to replace the user
email. I can open the file and read it, but cannot get it to "find" the
actual string and replace it. Can someone look over my code and see what
the problem is? I am afraid that ereg is not my strongest point.  Also, at
what point should I start writing the file out? Wouldn't there be a
permissions error if I was reading and writing at the same time?

Thanks
CDitty

$oldemail = "email1 at mydomain.com";
$newemail = "email2 at mydomain.com";
$user = "cditty";
$file = fopen("/path/to/the/user/file/$user.dat", "r");
if(!$file){
echo "<p>Unable to open remote file.\n";
exit;
}else{
echo "Success<br>";
}
while (!feof($file)) {
$line = fgets($file, 255);
if(eregi($oldemail, $line, $out)) {
str_replace($oldemail, $newemail, $line);
}
echo $line . "<BR>";
}
fclose($file)