[thelist] Re: bizzarre behavior in IE5/Windows

Garth Hagerman hagerman at mail.mcn.org
Tue Feb 13 20:53:32 CST 2001

:
>: The site works fine in all of the browsers
>: I have on my Mac: NN4, NN6, IE4, IE5, Icab,
>: it even is tolerable on the WebTV emulator.
>: It works fine on Windows in NN4 and IE5.5,
>: but in IE5 the banners display and a few of
>: the buttons display, a few more display when
>: you mouse over them, but the actual content
>: is just a vast expanse of white.
>: http://www.diggingdog.com

>alittle fiddling with your code and i figured out what the culprit is.  i
>don't have an answer of why it is, i've only identified what's causing it.
>i found that by removing the class attributes from the two images at top
>that everything displayed just fine.  ie5 may be doing something odd with
>the position: fixed declaration.  i did a search against microsoft's
>knowledge and didn't find anything related to this.

BINGO!
That did it, allright. Thanks.
But... I liked the fixed position banner thang. I though I was so clever to work out a way

to do it while degrading gracefully. It almost worked, too. Is it possible to use fixed
positioning without blowing up in some major browser or another? If I use a fixed, non
repeating background image, it isn't displayed at all in non-css browsers, and in WebTV,
it repeats all over the page, so I get black text on black regions of the graphic. Oh,
well.
At least this site works for now... but I'll keep fiddlin' and researchin'

Thanks again, Jeff

                Garth

                                     check 'em out!!!
                                                          http://www.mendophoto.com