[thelist] Re: getRows() (was: commenting code)

Mike Hardaker mike at angloinfo.com
Fri Feb 16 03:50:50 CST 2001

Yup.

Generally (and rather crudely) speaking:

<% MyString = foo()
Mystring = Mystring & "<b>"
Mystring = Mystring & bar()
Mystring = Mystring & "</b>"
Response.write Mystring %>

Is quite good.

While:

<%response.write "<b>"
MyString = foo()
Response.write MyString
Response.write "</b><p>"
Response.write "<b>"
MyString = bar()
Response.write MyString
Response.write "</b>" %>

Is worse.

While:

<% MyString = foo() %>
<b><%= MyString %></b><p>
<% MyString = bar() %>
<b><%= Mystring %></b>

Is worse still - my rule of thumb is that multiple code blocks are worse
than multiple Response.writes, which in turn are worse than a single one.
This is based, however, on what seems to work best rather than and
heavy-duty performance testing with the proper kit.

Having said that, the slower approaches *can* result in far more readable
code in some cases...

Mike