[thelist] tip type=rsi

Ben Henick persist1 at io.com
Sat Feb 17 19:48:04 CST 2001

On Sat, 17 Feb 2001, iris wrote:

> i definately owe a tip for my last post and since
> international rsi day is coming up...
>
> don't scroll through your mailing list messages using
> the mouse, esp not the little wheel.  use the spacebar
> instead to page down.  this works in (most) browsers
> and email programs.  doesn't work in opera. in eudora
> the spacebar also takes you to the next message.

Keep in mind that the operative word is "repetitive," folks.

As any runner or lifter will tell you, it's not only techies who get
slammed by this - while the main reason I don't run is my tobacco habit,
the persistent tendinitis in my knees is what will put me in a swimming
pool if I ever quit.  I got THAT while still in high school...

As for RSI from mousing, that certainly does suck and badly.  I am dealing
with this first-hand right now.

The first and best thing you can do is to stretch frequently.  Take
five, get up from the chair, and stretch yourself out, move your joints
around (full range of motion kinda stuff), and take a complete rest for a
few minutes.  Don't write, don't type, don't mouse.  If you must
ABSOLUTELY continue to work, print something out, put it on the table, and
read it while standing.  Perhaps even this is verboten.

All kinds of info can be found at

http://www.tifaq.org/

Best regards,
--
Ben Henick
Web Author At-Large
persist1 at io.com

"Are you pondering what I'm pondering, Pinky?"
"I think so, Brain, but... (snort) no, no, it's too stupid."
"We will disguise ourselves as a cow."
"Oh!" (giggles) "That was it exactly!"