[thelist] Tip o'the day (x2)

the head lemur headlemur at qwest.net
Sun Feb 18 08:58:19 CST 2001

> when that client comes along who wants that Flash5 gee-whiz,
> then sure, we know that's going to exclude people, but expecting
> to exclude people from the start might prevent you from raising that
> concern with the client...

Not at all. The exclusion process begins with us.
We will not build some sites. Money, Morals, Ethics, Personality or Ability.
We all have a set of rules we use in making websites.

My first rule is whether or not the prospective client belongs to their
industry associations, local, national or international.

The reason that this is my first rule is experience has taught me that
clients whose businesses are actively involved in their industry groups are
already firmly grounded into the concept of standards. They use them in
their businesses. They also are cognizant of the changing relationships in
their business and the industry they are a part of.

This alone makes the 'coding to standards' explanation much easier to sell.

We all know that coding to the "standards" is a good thing.
We also know that the range of what we can get on the screen consistantly is
still small.

But like every other release, we have consistantly risen to the challange.
This is no different.