[thelist] WebReview responds to WaSP browser death march

arch mayday1999 at zdnetonebox.com
Mon Feb 26 10:33:36 CST 2001

Hi evolters:

Overall, I agree that Molly's editorial article and WaSP Browser Upgrade
Initiative are quiet interesting and very innovative in their approach.

I bet a lot of web developers and designers once in a while thought about
an ideal web environment where everybody (developers, clients, users)
have the same browsers installed on their powerful machines with the
fastest connection to the Internet. That will be really an ideal environment!
But it's not in real life. The Internet environment is uncontrollable
and, in most cases, hardly predictable. People do have slow connections,
old computers and older versions of the browsers. There are various reasons
for that. Most of the users' statistics are based on the surveys and
traffic logs on certain sites trying to gather info on their visitors.
I am not sure that it is accurate to assume that all sites have the same
audience.

I do have a great respect to the authors of the initiative. In fact,
I've learned a lot about web development from their articles. However,
it seems to me that the new initiative is kinda going against what they
were suggesting before in their articles including cross-browser/cross-platform
coding and thinking about the target audience of their web site.

Anyway, those are just my initial thoughts on the new WaSP compaign.

Thanks,

Arthur Chidlovski
www.chidlovski.com