[thelist] Designer vs. Coder

Andrew Forsberg andrew at thepander.co.nz
Mon Feb 26 15:54:52 CST 2001

>  > From: Jeana <kumquat at sckans.edu>
>>
>>  With all of this talk about using wysiwyg's and coding by hand..  I
>>  propose the question I've been struggling with...  Can someone be very
>>  good at both?  Designers I think will tend to drift towards
>>  dreamweaver.. it's faster, its easier, and they can see the designs..
>>  pretty.. *poof* there it is.  Coders are interested in back-end...
>  > how it loads, how it's handled on different systems/browsers/etc,
>  > getting the most done in least amount of lines of correct code...

[...]

>am i both, though?  that's like asking someone if he/she is a good
>driver... everyone thinks he/she is a good driver, but it takes a
>passenger to give some true insight...

Another analogy just came to mind:

Can you call yourself an author (of books) if you cannot spell, use
grammar, or understand syntax, if you have never read a book, and
have no interest in either contemporary literature, or the history of
literature? You could just cut and paste out of other people's books
and make something that looks sort of like a book. In one sense it is
a book -- but without any solid comprehension of what it is that
you're creating are you an author?

I guess that's putting the emphasis against WYSIWYG rather a bit too strongly.
--
Andrew Forsberg
http://www.thepander.co.nz