[thelist] ASP String Concatenation vs. Response.Write

Ryan Finley RyanF at SonicFoundry.com
Mon Feb 26 16:01:22 CST 2001

In regards to the caching...

I actually create the FILES on the server.  When I survey is previewed, I
overwrite a new file over the old one.

Once a user has finished designing their survey, the file is effectively
frozen, and will never have to be regenerated again.

When I eventually move the website over to ASP+, I will use the output
caching feature to accomplish the same thing.

	Ryan Finley
	President - SurveyMonkey.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Warden, Matt [mailto:mwarden at odyssey-design.com]
Sent: Monday, February 26, 2001 2:43 PM
To: thelist at lists.evolt.org
Subject: Re: [thelist] ASP String Concatenation vs. Response.Write

> It would be interesting to know whether string concatenation gets
> progressively slower as the string gets longer...

I agree. If that is the case, it would probably be better to use several
smaller string variables to concatenate portions of the script and then
concatenate those variables at the very end.

> On my website, I use string concatenation to create surveys.  I then cache
> the survey files, and simply serve up the pre-rendered surveys.  The only
> database interaction happens when surveys are submitted.
>
> I would like to speed up the rendering process.

You could also do this on start up of the application using the global.asa
file. That way, you wouldn't have to burdon one user per reboot with the
original rendering time.

--
mattwarden
mattwarden.com