[thelist] Re: WebReview responds to WaSP browser death march (1)

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 26 16:12:37 CST 2001

<sabrina.dent at appercept.co.uk>

> But if my user is using a version 3 or an early 4 browser, the
> "compliant" code doesn't work anyway! It's what everyone on this list
> has been talking about for the past few days with ALA: looks great
> with it's compliant (sort of) CSS in version 4 or higher and looks
> like total doggie chow for everything/everyone else!

actually, that's just the way ALA *chose* to do it... and it looks like
arse in 4.x... it only looks right in 5.x...

look at evolt.org in an older browser... NN3, for example... or hell,
look at some screen caps in the article:
http://evolt.org/article/Inside_the_evolt_org_Rebuild_The_HTML_and
_CSS/20/5816/index.html

alternatively, look at http://roselli.org/adrian/

both those sites are HTML 4.01 (trans) and CSS1 compliant... they
meet level A conformance to the WAI, and are Bobby approved...

so, regardless of whether or not you think the pages are ugly, they
work in old *and* new browsers...  it can be done... and it can be
done pretty easily as well...

again, it comes down to a decision... a bad hand-coder can create
a mess, and a good WYSIWYG user who gets into the code can
create wonderful code... but standards does not imply failure in old
browsers... in fact, it should mean the opposite when done right...