[thelist] Designer vs. Coder

Kyle Smeby kyle at a-s-i.com
Mon Feb 26 17:05:52 CST 2001

> My normal workflow is :
> Do the AI/requirements/etc.
> Prototype in Photoshop
> Move to Dreamweaver for initial layout
> Switch to BBEdit to clean it all up
> Use BBEdit for maintenance and new stuff.

This is interesting, you're about the fifth person to say they work like
this.  I actually go the opposite direction between Dreamweaver and BBEdit.

After settling on a design and doing the Photoshop work, I cut up my
graphics and then code a template in BBEdit.  That's almost the entire
battle right there.  After that I bring it into Dreamweaver and quickly pull
content in and out to mass produce the rest of the pages in the site.  This
way there is almost no cleanup neccesary at all.

The only advantage I ever found for Dreamweaver is it does leave your code
alone unlike many other WYSIWYG editors.  Although now I wish
Allaire/Macromedia would just scrap Dreamweaver and get me Homesite on my
Mac!  Alas, Homesite, I knew thee well...