[thelist] ASP String Concatenation vs. Response.Write

Scott Dexter sgd at ti3.com
Mon Feb 26 17:47:37 CST 2001

> If I converted from VBScript into a compiled VB component, would that
> eliminate the performance problem?  To put it another way...is string
> concatenation a performance problem only in VBScript?

it's definitely an advantage, if anything simply from the fact that the ASP
engine isn't parsing the code every time (caching techniques aside). Some of
the same issues exist (re-allocating memory to extend the length of a string
to hold the new value), but this is the sort of stuff a COM object should be
used for, and I'd speculate you'd realize decent performance gains =)

That being said, I'd take the pertinent lessons from that MS article and see
if you can incorporate them into a VB component....

sgd