[thelist] WYSIWYG editors

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 26 20:48:52 CST 2001

> From: jdowdell at macromedia.com (John Dowdell)
> > i couldn't handle all the precise clicking just to ensure it didn't
> > start nesting font tags where i didn't want them.
>
> If you want to actually select a FONT or SPAN, rather than just some
> text within that tag, then use the hierarchical Tag Selector built
> into the bottom-left corner of the design window frame. Lets you jump
> up and down the current selection hierarchy, at a click.

that's actually what i was talking about... too much mousing within
too-small target areas... necessary for the UI, yes, but not the way
i like to work...

> > i believe in working in the medium to which i will eventually
> > output.
>
> That can be fun, true. It's also true that if you sketch out several
> variants in your output medium, then you run the risk of focusing on
> implementation instead of ideas.

absotively... and you have to understand that... but you also need
to understand some of the limitations of the implementation from
the start, and the native medium certainly makes that easier...

> This is why people sketch on cocktail napkins.

mmm... if only they made them out of whiteboard material...

> > the layers feature is well-understood in the context of photoshop,
>
> Well, no, it isn't... it's a freak, a very unusual implementation.

?

it's a different implementation, yes, but unusual?  compared to
who/what?  actually, the layers in FH drive me nuts... always
selecting layers when i want to select elements on another layer...
but i don't want to complain about them... part of the reason i use
FH over illustrator is because it's a different UI than PS, and i need
that disconnect between the two, otherwise i think i'm in PS...

> For the features, hey, you don't need to use 'em... I'm just telling
> you that other people find that speed and flexibility to be very
> compelling. Doesn't mean that your own working style must immediately
> be the same process, no way!  8)

i know, just wanted to raise some concerns for thinking of the web
as print by using a print tool (although we both know FH has gone
beyond print thanks to Flash support and a host of other features)...

again, not a rant (or even complaint), just commentary...

btw, you going to SXSW?