[thelist] Re: WebReview responds to WaSP browser death march (1)

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Mon Feb 26 22:14:52 CST 2001

> It's what everyone on this list has been talking about
> for the past few days with ALA: looks great with it's
> compliant (sort of) CSS in version 4 or higher and
> looks like total doggie chow for everything/everyone else!

hi bri

you sure have some really strong feelings, yet you manage to present them
without excessive rancour

"looks like total doggie chow"?   (some of your other posts are equally
colourful)

[ aside: amazing how there have been so many different opinions on this
ALA thing, yet we continue to maintain an atmosphere of enthusiastic,
non-confrontational, engaging discussion... ]

> "it looks like arse in 4.x..."

and then, of course, there's the aardvark

  ;o)

actually, i'm going to disagree with both of you -- the alistapart site
looks *better* without the style sheet!

for one thing, the pukey green sidebar is gone (relegated to the bottom of
the page), which frees up a lot more room for, ahem, content

but the main reason i prefer it is that the fonts are actually readable --
they're the default size!!!

okay, the text lines do stretch all the way across the window, but in the
top right corner of every window on my computer i have a resize button (in
between the "_" minimize and "x" kill buttons) that will fix that problem
for me real quick, and flow the text into lines that are as long as *i*
want them to be

thank goodness zeldman and company didn't take the same route with regard
to monitors as they did with browsers -- can you image divs that are a
fixed 937 pixels wide?  i can just see the editorial now... "finally
upgraded your browser to see our spiffy style sheets?  fine, now go out and
upgrade your hardware too, you lame slackers..."

rudy.ca