[thelist] text-decoration:none

James Aylard jaylard at encompass.net
Tue Feb 27 00:47:43 CST 2001

Ben Henick wrote:

> Hm?  My understanding is that while markup inside of anchor tags renders
> on most browsers, it's one of the major Don'ts of HTML (along with
> staggering tags and using multiple BODY tags, to mention a few examples).

	According to the HTML 4.01 and the XHTML 1.0 recommendations, the anchor
element may contain other inline elements (e.g., em, strong, q, sub, sup,
and quite a few others), but it is invalid to nest links (i.e., place one
"A" element within another). I wouldn't hazard to guess whether most
browsers would choke on certain combinations of technically valid markup,
but there is nothing inherently wrong with placing a span within an anchor
element. The problem with placing a span within an anchor for the purpose of
eliminating text-decoration, however, is one of clarity in coding. It is
poor practice, though not technically illegal.

James Aylard