[thelist] Dedicated IP vs. "not dedicated" ;)

Simon Batistoni simon at userfrenzy.com
Tue Feb 27 08:32:08 CST 2001

Gina:

> >In choosing a hosting company for your site, is a dedicated IP
> >better, and
> >why?

Anthony:

> In short - there is no different in service quality between dedicated ips
> and ip sharing for virtual hosting.

Me:

...with the obvious caveat that if you're sharing a box with 10 other
websites, then the system resources are spread accordingly, and a busy day
at any of the other sites *will* slow down your site's response times.

I know that isn't what was asked (on which subject, I completely agree with
the other posters here), but it is an important consideration - if the site
you're building is likely to be high traffic, it's worth getting it its own
host straight away, so you don't have the hell of moving a live site in 6
months' time.