[thelist] Designer vs. Coder

Norman Bunn norman.bunn at craftedsolutions.com
Tue Feb 27 09:30:22 CST 2001

>Why not Designer + Coder = Web Designer?

I come from a coder background (Fortran, COBOL, Basic, Smalltalk, Java,
Javascript and mostly Perl - yes, I am that old!), but have been adding
graphic design in the last year or so (Photoshop & Ilustrator).  Since I
cater to small accounts, I find I must be a "jack of all trades" (and
perhaps "a master of none") to meet their needs.  On the other hand, the
autonomy is great!

> Jeffrey Veen (www.veen.com) has recently released
> a book called The Art & Science of Web Design. That
> should be our bible.

I really enjoyed Veen's book, as well as Krug's "Don't Make Me Think", and
am now reading "The Design of Everyday Things" by Dan Norman.  While not
specific to the web, I am finding many insights into design that can be
applied to web site design and can recommend it quite highly (it has an
academic focus - hence the original title of "The Psychology of Everyday
Things" - so it can be a bit dry at times).

> Jesus G. Gorriti / Web Design / IconMedialab Spain

Norman
www.craftedsolutions.com