[thelist] Dedicated IP vs. "not dedicated" ;)

Simon Batistoni simon at userfrenzy.com
Tue Feb 27 11:53:22 CST 2001

> I don't think that dedicated IP means dedicated server.

No it doesn't, but non-dedicated IP *does* mean non-dedicated server, which
can be nasty if your site's server-mates get hungry all of a sudden.

I speak from bitter experience - I had nightmares with this at an
on-a-shoestring site a while ago, where they quickly outgrew their shared
host.

>From where I'm sitting, its a far more important consideration in choosing a
host than the dedicatedness or not of the actual IP address, which only
matters to SSL certificates.