image maps vs. sliced images (was: RE: [thelist] Mac tools)

Erika Meyer meyer at up.edu
Tue Feb 27 12:12:07 CST 2001

I'm not out here saying "image maps are bad" -- I've just found that when
I've made them and/or had to maintain sites with them, they are less
flexible than an image sliced and set in a table... so I'm wondering what
the advantages of them are.

Once I built an image map... and later they wanted rollovers.
Then I had an image map... and later they wanted to drop some of the links off.
In both cases, the changes would have been easier if I'd used slices
instead of an image map.

So I'm wondering in which cases the image map is the better way to go.
I realize that question/comment was veering off-topic, but my brain works
that way sometimes.

Erika