[thelist] menus without frames

T.Abbey Abbey at abbeyink.com
Wed Feb 28 19:01:55 CST 2001

At 04:43 PM 2/28/01 -0800, you wrote:
>to do this with PHP, you'll have to name your page with a .php or .php3
>extension, depending on your host. then to include the menu into your pages,
>just put this little piece of code where you want the menu to appear:

Not necessarily. My host parses php in the html file if I update the
htaccess file.

something he needs to consider is:

a) the host's capabilities
b) where he wants the site to go eventually.

For example, my host allows me to run SSI's, I add a line to the htaccess
file that allows html pages to parse the includes without the shtml
extension (which I discovered /after/ I changed all the file names and
messed up the search engine hits)

Then, the site continued to grow and php was the best way to go for the
mini-cart, etc. -- OOooops, can't parse php /and/ SSI (well, I guess it can
be done, but it's not something I can understand).

So, now I have all kinds of file extensions, redirects and weird 404s (oh
yeah, I know *exactly* what I'm doing!!)

I don't know a thing about NT, but if you're on a *nix server -- read their
manual, check their faqs and see if you can run SSIs or php includes. If
so, find out how. Just because they offer *nix servers doesn't mean they'll
let just anybody mess around with the htaccess files. And, in my case, that
was probably a good idea! Ah well, we all gotta start somewhere right?

If you pick a file extension -- do your best to stay with it by adding
handlers to the htacess so you don't have to go back later and change
everything from page.html to page.shtml to page.php and then back to
page.html cuz who knows what I'll decide to learn next??

<TAbbey />