[thelist] iMac DV, video capability

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 1 01:19:10 CST 2001

> From: Jason Belec <pdfworkflows at home.com>
[...]
> No problem. Matrox has a stunning solution, for good money. So do
> several companies, like Eskape, etc.. A recent MacWorld, or MacAddict
> had them all listed.

got any URLs or model numbers?  i got great info off the other
posts, but it looks like another $400 to convert an analog input into
firewire...  and will it work with the DV iMac?

[...]
> > how i long for the old days in front of the Avid
> > system...
>
> Really?!! Wow, that's stunning considering the technology is very,
> very, out-of-date. The Voodoo card (not available for iMac), not the
> gaming card either, along with Final Cut Pro, makes Avid look pretty
> week. Of course, we are in a television building, and thus price is a
> little less likely to bother us.

you have to understand, i went from doing film to VHS editing
(ugh), and then finally got access to 3/4" and other formats... and
all the gear was quite old... when we finally got an Avid, it was
brand new to us (1994 i think) and it made the entire process *so*
much easier than constantly whacking the old decks...

> The iMac can handle broadcast quality input and output - NTSC, I'd
> have to ask our UK office about PAL.
>
> I hope this can be of some help.

much.  thanks...

granted, this is for web, but to be able to do broadcast quality
would be nice... i could remaster *lots* of my old stuff, and maybe
release director's cuts of my old documentaries.... mmm... wide
screen (i know, i'm being silly)...