[thelist] preloader question

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 4 09:08:12 CST 2001

>I now find that whenever I mouse over said images a call is made to the
>server, which didn't happen before.
>
>I thought that preloading, however it was done, should stop this.  Is
>there anything wrong with the function code below that would cause this?
>Or am I wrong in my assumption about preloading?

No, the assumption is correct, it's just that both Explorer 5 and Netscape 6
have trouble with preloading. A script like you wrote should work fine in
the Version 4 browsers, but IE5 and NN6 are sometimes slow in showing images
(though never in the same way, of course) and may request them from the
server regardless (I think it's mainly IE5 who does this).

So: it's a browser....not bug, more an inconsistency.

ppk