[thelist] happy heading hierarchies

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 5 09:37:22 CST 2001

> From: "rudy" <r937 at interlog.com>
[...]
> what i have in mind is --
>
>    <h1>main heading</h1>
>    <h5>synopsis:</h5><p>short paragraph</p>
>    <h4>bread > crumb > trail</h4>
>    <h3>first subheading</h3>
>    <h3>second subheading</h3>

well, a bread crumb trail is not a document heading, so your
structure there is questionable... and if you are skipping <h2>
because it's too big, style it...

otherwise, i see no reason *not* to use an h1-h6 cascade in your
example...

[...]
>    " ... H1 as the most important and H6 as the least. Visual browsers
>       usually render more important headings in larger fonts than less
>       important ones."
>
> which pretty much supports my usage, because what i want under my h1
> is approximately of h5 importance

that i can understand, but W3C is talking about rendering, not
structure there...

[...]
> so, who was it again who said the H numbers have to be consecutive and
> descending?

probably me... it will fail validation, and i *know* i've seen language
about walking through the <h#> tags in order... but since i'm late
for a meeting, i'll let someone else address it until i get back...

anyone?