[thelist] happy heading hierarchies

T.Abbey Abbey at abbeyink.com
Mon Mar 5 09:39:32 CST 2001

At 10:04 AM 3/5/01 -0500, you wrote:
>you know how they say you should always code <h1> first, and then <h2>, and
>then <h3>, and so on?
>
>here's what the w3c says on the subject --
>
>     "Some people consider skipping heading levels to be bad practice.
>      They accept H1 H2 H1 while they do not accept H1 H3 H1 since the
>      heading level H2 is skipped."

Rudy,

I don't know who would say that, except in some ways it is logical to go 1,2,3.

At one time I was advised to use H1, H2, etc., in descending order of
importance for search engines. With the change in human reviews for the
engines, now I just have the h1 on each page as a nod to the engines, but
then I go about my merry way depending on the content of the page. On some
pages I need an h1 and then a different class altogether for things like
the author, or the date submitted, or whatever. It doesn't make sense to me
to use any kind of heading for those types of attributions.

But that's just me and until someone explains why I'm doing it wrong, I
guess I'll keep doing it that way.

<TAbbey />