[thelist] frameset borders and html validation

Mark Hadley mail at mark-hadley.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Mar 6 17:58:06 CST 2001

Hi,

James wrote:

> <frame frameborder="0">
> (See http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/present/frames.html#h-16.2.2)

Unfortunately, this is not a solution to the problem at hand, the
frameborder attribute of the frame tag removes the border of the frame, but
does not remove the line between the frames. There is still a white line
between frames. I have also been struggling with this problem for some time
and as far as i can see there is no way to make a frameset that validates to
either HTML4 or XHTML. The available attributes are:

<frameset cols="50%,50%">

<frame src="1.html" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" frameborder="0"
noresize="noresize" scrolling="no" />

<frame src="2.html" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" frameborder="0"
noresize="noresize" scrolling="no" />

</frameset>

This leaves the line inbetween the frames on all browsers i have tested so
far, N3, N4.5, N6 and IE5.5 on Windows98. This is very annoying! The easiest
way to remove the border between the frames is to put the border="0"
attribute into the frameset tag but this does not validate. So either W3C
don't care about lines between frames or the browser manufacturers have
implemented the frameborder attribute badly.

If anyone has a solution to this, i.e. a frameset with no gaps that
validates i'd love to know it and i'll buy them a beer!

Mark.