[thelist] Tweaking Dreamweaver code (was Homesite vs Dreamweaver)

scott.brady at homeqonline.com scott.brady at homeqonline.com
Thu Mar 8 10:47:34 CST 2001

Mark Fletcher wrote:

> Yes that is one way around the problem, however personally I would avoid
> doing this since it is too easy to forget to add a more descriptive text
> label later.  The validator Bobby (www.cast.org/bobby) for example will
> consider consider alt="" to be correct, but your visual impaired visitors
> will not get a great deal from this. Therefore I would suggest using Find
> and Replace technique suggested by Charles Roper.

I don't think it makes you any more likely to forget than it would otherwise.
The ALT attribute box is still available in the Image Properties version of the
Object Properties Window, so you can still put in text.  If you're putting in
descriptive ALT text normally (as you should for most images), then you're going
to anyway. For the images that don't need descriptive text (such as transparent
GIFs), this prevents you from having to bother with the Search & Replace
feature.

To me, it seems like always having to use the Find & Replace feature would be  a
big hassle.

I guess it all depends on what makes your life easier or makes the most sense to
you.

Scott