IE5/mac disappearing scrollbar (was: Re: [thelist] site crit: iaslash.org)

DC DC_the_gasman at Bigfoot.com
Thu Mar 8 12:03:15 CST 2001

>Michael Angeles <angeles at lucent.com> typed:
>
>>  hey all. i just launched a new site called "iaslash"
>  > (http://www.iaslash.org/).
>{snip]
>looks great, mike. very clean design. however, in ie5 mac, the pages are
>coming up with no vertical scrollbar, even though the content extends off
>the bottom. oddly, there is a white space in that area where the scrollbar
>should be, but no scrollbar. then, if i resize the window the scrollbars
>appear. but this causes a horizontal scrollbar to appear as well, even
>though the content *doesn't* extend off the right side. weird.
>
>i haven't seen this before, so i don't know what to suggest. my gut tells me

That didn't happen to me this time, the page looked good and had
scrollbars, but I have seen this before. It happens unpredictably,
but always with pages which use CSS positioning. My impression is
that the more <divs> there are positioned with CSS, the more likely
it is to happen, but I can't actually back that up.

DC