IE5/mac disappearing scrollbar (was: Re: [thelist] site crit:iaslash.org)

DC DC_the_gasman at Bigfoot.com
Thu Mar 8 12:35:55 CST 2001

Michael Angeles wrote:

>DC wrote:
>>  That didn't happen to me this time, the page looked good and had
>>  scrollbars, but I have seen this before. It happens unpredictably,
>>  but always with pages which use CSS positioning. My impression is
>>  that the more <divs> there are positioned with CSS, the more likely
>>  it is to happen, but I can't actually back that up.
>
>that's strange. i've been trying to figure that one out, but haven't been able
>to. i can't test on a mac at work so i'm stumped. i guess the best
>question is,
>is this an over-use of technology? i thought it was a helpful addition to have
>the navigation follow you as you scroll, but if it means that the page is not
>usable or is irritating, then i start to question whether it should
>stay or not.

I rather liked the moving navigation, though I guess some people
wouldn't. I wouldn't blame it for the disappearing scrollbar. I've
not noticed any correlation between the use of JavaScript and the
scrollbar disappearing.

The page still scrolls using the keyboard, BTW, even when the
scrollbar vanishes.

DC