[thelist] Tweaking Dreamweaver code (was Homesite vs Dreamweaver)

Melissa Phelps Firestone liss at frameshift.com
Thu Mar 8 14:29:31 CST 2001

>> Most irritating is the
>> seemingly arbitrary application of styles - I'm never quite sure whether a
>> style is being applied to a div, a span, a td, a paragraph, or what, until I
>> try to modify or remove the style and find that I can't because it's been
>> applied to three different things, including insane nested spans and the
>> like.
>
> that drove me crazy for a while too, until i discovered Dreamweaver's little
> tag hierarchy list at the bottom left of the work window. this lets you
> select exactly which tag you want to work on, and also has a right-click
> (contextual) menu that lets you easily apply/remove CSS classes to/from
> elements.
>
> this little feature seems to slip by a lot of people, but it's key to using
> Dreamweaver well.

I agree that the tag editor is an indispensable feature, and it works well
for styling when I'm actually trying to apply the style *to* something
(i.e., an entire paragraph or table cell). It's less than useful when trying
to style words within a paragraph (creating a span for the class) - DW often
applies the style to the entire container despite the selection of only a
few words.

In the greater scheme of things, I suppose, not major, but all the little
things (this, extra paragraphs of nothing  here and there, etc.) add up to
major frustration and code bloat.

--Liss