[thelist] thinking of a site redesign...

Moe Rubenzahl moe at maxim-ic.com
Fri Mar 9 17:56:14 CST 2001

I agree -- overboard on the motion. As splashy animations go, yours
are more tasteful than most but when you have content people are
expected to read, the distraction of any motion at all is deadly.

Second: Rethink your use of frames. Yours seem nicely implemented but
basically, frames are evil.

Frames are usually a user interface nightmare because they impede
navigation. When the user clicks BACK, which frame does the user
mean? BACK seldom takes me back to what I wanted.

What does the PRINT command print -- the whole window? One frame? Which frame?

When I make a bookmark, what am I bookmarking? The whole page as it
appears or some frame? It's almost always the frameset, which is
almost never what the user wants.

I have more arguments -- for the whole diatribe, see the Frame Flame at:

   http://www.rubenzahl.com/wwworks/handouts/frame-flame.htm